Your smile is a very important component of your appearance. Having healthy teeth can raise your self-esteem. To maintain your pearly whites, it is essential to follow a solid dental hygiene routine. Here are five tips that will keep your smile glowing.
1. Replace your Toothbrush Regularly. Your toothbrush is an essential part of your oral care routine and it is important to replace it regularly. Over time, bacteria accumulate. Also, its bristles become worn and frayed. It is advised to buy a new one every three or four months.
2. Remember Your Tongue. Although your tongue does not show when you smile, it is important to take care of it. Your tongue will fill with bacteria that can cause bad breath and other oral health concerns. It is wise to brush both your teeth and tongue daily.
3. Fluoride is Important. To prevent cavities, fluoride is helpful. It is a mineral that keeps tooth enamel strong so it can resist acid that leads to decay. The easiest ways to receive adequate fluoride is by brushing with a toothpaste that contains fluoride and to drink water that contains the mineral. Regular tap water usually has the right amount of fluoride for a healthy mouth.
4. Avoid Sugary Snacks. Most people know that eating and drinking foods with tons of sugar is bad for their health. It is also bad for their smiles. When you snack throughout the day, it is best to choose healthier options and to brush as frequently as possible, so food particles are completely removed from your teeth. As sugary foods sit, plaque develops. Plaque contains bacteria that can cause decay.
5. Visit Your Dentist. It is always smart to schedule yearly appointments with your dentist. This professional will check your mouth so that small problems are detected before larger ones develop.
Dr. Dana Walters specializes in cosmetic dentistry and is trusted in smile makeovers, giving his patients a glowing appearance. For an appointment, contact our office today.