Teeth cleanings by our friendly and experienced dental hygienists will keep your smile bright and healthy.
The American Dental Association (ADA) recommends that adults undergo professional teeth cleaning at least every six months. Regular dental cleanings will extend the life of your natural teeth and potentially help you avoid costly restorative dental work. Most insurance plans cover two cleaning and exam appointments per year.
Regular dental hygiene exams and cleanings can also help you avoid problems such as:
– cavities (dental caries)
-gingivitis (gum disease)
-periodontitis (inflammation of the gums), and
– halitosis (bad breath).
Finally, our team will screen for oral cancer during your visits because early detection is critical.
Here’s what to expect during your exam and cleaning:
- We’ll review your charts and discuss your medical history, noting any changes or updates.
- We’ll do a periodontal exam to look for signs of redness, inflammation, or anything that may indicate disease or need for extraction or specialized treatment.
- A restoration exam will ensure no adjustments or replacement are needed to past work.
- We’ll take an Intra-oral tour of your mouth, including photos, to look for changes, decay, and other problems.
- X-rays (if needed) to find decay not visible to the eye. We recommend x-rays once a year for people with previous decay or who are at an increased risk for cavities.
- An orthodontic evaluation may be done to see if your bite or bone structure can benefit from correction.
- Plaque, stains, and tartar buildup removal. Home brushing is not enough to remove the hardened plaque, which is what makes the services of a hygienist so vital to your oral health care.
- Application of fluoride. Dr. Walters may prescribe a fluoride treatment depending on the age of the patient. Fluoride will help to strengthen the chewing surface.
- Application of sealant, mainly for children but some adults may benefit, too.
- Application of whitening agents. If you’re using our in-office whitening system, we may apply it during your cleaning exam.
- Because lifestyle factors greatly influence your oral health, we will also review proper at-home dental care.