Many people around the world suffer from missing teeth. Previously, the only treatment options for tooth loss were dentures and bridges. Bridges and dentures come with a variety of problems and side effects. For example, they can slip shift in the mouth making them uncomfortable and distracting. Furthermore, they needed to be a bound to teeth on either side of the gap being filled, making it hard for patients missing multiple teeth. Luckily, dental implants are a more permanent and convenient solution to this problem.
What is a dental implant?
A dental implant is a metal frame that is surgically inserted into the jawbone beneath the gum. It acts as a foundation onto which crowns are mounted. Essentially, a dental implant is an artificial tooth root.
The process of getting a dental implant
The first step of getting a dental implant is visiting a dentist. People have different dental needs and characteristics. For example, the strength of the gum and the arrangement of teeth varies from person to person. Therefore, the dentist must create an individualized treatment plan for you.
A small frame made of metal or titanium is embedded in the bone socket. The frame is then fastened to the jaw by the growth of jawbone around it. Typically, the jawbone takes 6-12 weeks to heal. When the jawbone heals, a connector known as an abutment is mounted on the implant. The new tooth is then attached to the abutment.
Is getting a dental implant painful?
No. With the introduction of sedative dentistry, dental surgical procedures are no longer painful. It is possible to experience mild discomfort during and shortly after the procedure. This can be treated with over-the-counter medication.
Who needs a dental implant?
If you are looking for a lasting solution to tooth loss, a dental implant is for you. Anyone with healthy gums and enough jawbone to hold the implants can undergo the procedure. Before undergoing the dental implant surgery, you should be ready to maintain good oral hygiene and visit the dental center regularly. Dental implants may be unsuitable for people with uncontrolled chronic disorders. Your dentist will evaluate your health situation and make recommendations accordingly.
Advantages of a dental implant
- Improved appearance: A Dental implant is fitted into the jawbone making it look like natural teeth. Dentists will match the color of the crown with the color of your natural teeth.
- They are comfortable: Unlike dentures, a dental implant cannot slip or slide in the mouth when eating or speaking. The implants are almost as comfortable as natural teeth.
- Better oral health: A dental implant does not require a reshaping of the adjacent teeth. The natural teeth are left intact thereby enhancing their long-time health.
- They are convenient: Unlike dentures, a dental implant does not need to be constantly removed. Unlike dentures, you do not need to apply adhesives to keep it in place.
- They are durable: A dental implant lasts for many years. In fact, with good maintenance, it can last for an entire lifetime.
Where can you get quality dental implants
Come see Dana Walters DDS for all of your dental implant questions and concerns. The celebrated dental center has a team of accomplished dental professionals. Most of these experts have offered dental services for more than two decades. We are committed to improving confidence, comfort, and quality of life for those who seek our services. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.